Thursday, November 19, 2009

You can't choose your family

Several years ago I remember hearing someone say that you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family. The meaning of such a statement is obvious - friends are by definition someone that you like, and sometimes you just don't like some members of your family. And yet, as much as I value my friends, I must admit that I have probably grown spiritually in some ways as a result of an "irregular" family member that I might never have had I only been able to choose who I would have a relationship with. And then I realized - for all eternity I will be spending time with the family of God, and not just with the friends of Ken! I know that we are going to become more than we could imagine when we are perfected in Christ. And yet, I can't help but wonder - will some of those "imperfections" that drive me crazy with some family members end up being part and parcel of the beauty of each of them, and will I find that my petty problems with them were just that - petty? Anyway, as Thanksgiving approaches, and with it the increase in family stress, I am resolved to ask God to not just help me cope with and put up with irregular family members, but to see them in the light of His love and ask for His help to appreciate them for who they are. Maybe I will grow a little bit in that process.

Pastor Ken

No comments: