Monday, November 23, 2009

Realist vs. Cynic

For decades now my wife and I have talked about my propensity to view life from a particular perspective at times. It is a perspective that she calls cynical and I have called realistic. Now, at this point, you undoubtedly have already figured out how I tend to look at things sometimes. When things happen that I don't like, or when I expect things to go less than spectacularly, Cheri tells me that I am being cynical, and I reply that I am just being realistic. But the truth is (and don't you tell my wife I said this!) that it really is cynicism. Because the only realistic perspective for the believer is the realization that everything that happens to me, regardless of how it appears at the moment and regardless of the intent of the one who may be doing it, is raw material in the hands of a God who intends to conform me to the image of His Son and use every bit of it to His glory and my good. So if I were being realistic, I would have to praise God always, and give thanks for everything. Guess I'll need God's help for that. Pray for me!

Pastor Ken

No comments: