Friday, November 6, 2009

Family

As I write this my wife's parents are visiting with us for a couple of days. Last night, we all went over to my daughter's house to visit with their great-grandson. Four generations in the same house, all laughing and playing and oohing and aahing over the newest genius in the family. In a day when "family planning" is all the rage, it was interesting to note that my wife was born before family planning was really very possible, my daughter was not planned, and neither was my grandson. Or were they? Perhaps there is a plan that goes far beyond what we plan. I have always been immensely thankful that God overruled our plans to only have two children. And I know my daughter and son-in-law are thrilled with their unexpected and unplanned surprise. What makes it all work so well is the knowledge that, when you do the basics as God has told us - marrying before you have children, being faithful to Him and to each other, and loving as Christ loved us, the seemingly unplanned things just become opportunities for God to do something we never expected. It may not look like what we had originally expected, but oh what He comes up with! We are living in a day when God's plan for the family is under assault. We need to stand strong for God's revealed will. But we need to go far beyond that - we need to live it ourselves, and expect the unexpected as God goes beyond our plans to bring His own about. Family is a great place to be!

Pastor Ken

No comments: