Friday, November 13, 2009

Oil Changes

This morning I took my wife's Miata down for its oil change. And it reminded me that, from time to time, we all need to get some of the old out and some new in. It is amazing how long we try to get by on prayer or Bible reading or study that is weeks or even months old. But when we keep trying to go on the old, it tends to collect a lot of the "gunk" of our lives and get dirty. We are no longer remembering what we heard from the Lord in prayer or the Word, but instead are hearing what we tend to say to ourselves. When we spend time with the Lord, especially in the Word, and especially when that Word has been mediated through another servant of the Lord, whether in writing or speaking, then we gain a new perspective and get at least a little of that old "gunk" out of our lives. This is just one reason why the Lord commands us (not too strong a word) to never forsake getting together with other believers. When I am around you, it always has a tendency burst my own bubble of notions about myself! So, why not spend some time this weekend getting your spiritual oil changed? Just a thought!

Pastor Ken

No comments: