Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day

I remember when I served as a youth pastor in a "Right to Work" state. That is a state where the laws prevent any business from requiring union membership to work there. It was an idea that I strongly supported prior to ministering in that state. But while I was there I learned something that I remember on Labor day: in our society we sometimes tend to undervalue labor. In that state, I met people who had been working the same job, which required skilled labor, for 10 years or more, and who were still making minimum wage. That just didn't seem right. I know that such an anecdote does not prove the value or lack there of for "right to work" vs. union organization. But what it did do was show me that the honest labor of a working man or woman could be unappreciated. So on this day when we remind ourselves of the value of an honest day's work: thank you to all who tirelessly (or sometimes tiredly) work day in and day out in jobs that may not be glamourous, but without which we all would be poorer! God bless you!

Pastor Ken

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Awesome!