Friday, September 25, 2009

Coins with Joseph's face?

Here is a great article I just had brought to my attention that is potentially very interesting: http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1253820674074&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull
Right now, this seems to be the only source for all of the other postings on the story, so we need to be careful about running with this. But it does bring up an interesting subject: the tendency of modern archeologists to almost completely reject written sources in favor of their own findings. Now, we all know that not every written source is to be trusted - not even the NY Times! But the archeological record is so spotty, and so open to interpretation based on the assumptions of those writing, that I have a tendency to adopt a "wait and see" approach. It always amazes me how many times the "assured findings" of archeology have proven that the Bible was wrong, only to have a later finding prove that the Bible was actually right. That has been true for over a hundred years, but it is even more important in this day of the 24 hour news cycle to withhold judgment until all the evidence is in. In the meantime, I have found the Bible significantly more trustworthy that all the other sources combined. So, I think I will stick with it!

Pastor Ken

No comments: