Thursday, October 15, 2009

What Will You Be Remembered For?

This morning Cheri and I are going with my father and step-mother to Biltmore, one of the largest "homes" ever built in the United States. This one was built by the Vanderbilt family. I have no doubt that we will thoroughly enjoy it, and be suitably awed by the sheer size and beauty of it all. And, of course, it was surely the right of the family to do what they wanted to with their fortune. And, we certainly must appreciate the willingness of the family to open the house to the public for all to enjoy. Now, there is no question that I will not ever built a mansion like the Biltmore. But I still have to decide what to do with the small amount I have. We all know that the Bible tells us to store up treasure in heaven. We know that there is no "bank of heaven" into which we can place our money so that it will be there when we arrive, with interest. So how do we "send it ahead?" By helping people! And especially by letting our money be used to tell others about the good news of God's love in Jesus. Now, I have quite a long time before my "fortune" will be left behind (probably). But it is not too soon to think about it. What will we do? I think the divisions of world and US missions of the Assemblies of God will be receiving a small gift when the time comes. Small because we are not Vanderbilts. But it will be what we can do. What will our kids think? Well, they already know. And its OK. Maybe that is part of our legacy, too. Anyway, these are just a few random thoughts suggested by what will probably be a fun day looking at someone else's legacy. I hope I will see mine in heaven!

Pastor Ken

No comments: