Friday, October 9, 2009

Sitting and Waiting

As I write this I am sitting at the car dealership waiting to get my car back from its regularly scheduled oil change. It is amazing how much of life consists of waiting, even when we are doing something. As another pastor reminded me yesterday, life is what happens when we are waiting for our plans to be fulfilled. I had heard that many times before, but when he said it, I thought, "what does it say about my trust of God if I don't live in this moment?" Now, don't get me wrong, I am a planner, and I do believe in planning. It is not the planning that is the problem (at least not most of the time). It is the feeling that we are being interrupted when things happen outside of what we had planned. When I became a Christian, and several times since, I told the Lord that my life was His to do with as He saw fit. I am not smart enough or powerful enough to know or do what needs to be done, both for myself and for others. I do not know what I can do that might seem simple or trivial to me that might make a major difference in the life of another. But God does! My life in the Lord can never be trivial. So, while I will continue to plan where it seems appropriate, I trust that I can learn to live in the moment as well, and trust that whatever is happening, God can, and perhaps even is, using it for purposes of which I may never be aware. To God be the glory!

Pastor Ken

No comments: