Monday, January 4, 2010

A New Year's Resolution

I was listening to a local radio station the other day and they were playing different people's new year's resolutions. What I found most interesting was that every one of them was something like, "I hope this is a better year financially," or "I want peace in the world." Of course, neither of those is a resolution. They might be good wishes. I certainly would like to see a better year financially and peace around the world would be great. But to idly wish for something is not the same thing as deciding to do something. A new year's resolution is a decision to do something. That is why, when I go the gym this afternoon, it will have more people in it that it probably will any other day of the year - people have resolved to do something about their health. So what have I resolved to do this year? Well, I won't bore you with all the things I would like to do. But there is one that stands out. It sounds like something a pastor would say only in order to preach a message or guilt others into doing something. And I want neither of those. But of everything that I can think of that I want to do this year, far and away the greatest desire I have is to know God better. You see, it is so easy to just keep going along in life and only deal with things as they come along. So, of course I will spend time with my grandson and my wife and my children. I will try to pastor the church God has given me to the very best of my ability - which includes relying on God's help. But it is so easy to get busy with all that stuff and just not take time to get closer to God. I don't want to just do all that stuff this year. I want to get to know God better than I ever have. Fortunately, history is filled with great Christians who have had the same desire and have succeeded. They have left for us a record of their own journeys. And they always seem to include some of the same things. Usually it involves spending time away from all the hustle and bustle of the world and getting alone with God. It involves spending more time reading the Bible. And it involves spending more time with others who are also seeking to know God better. Does that sound like just so much of the same thing? Well, I guess it is. But then, when I drive to the office everyday, I take the same road that I have and that others have and still do. The reason we all take the same road is that it will actually get us where we want to go. I guess I could take a new way. But I am not sure what that way is, and I certainly would take a lot longer to get there. so I guess I will just stay on the old paths. I know where they lead.

Pastor Ken

No comments: