Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Getting it all done

I have been in a hiatus for the past month from my ongoing Ph.D. work since I submitted my dissertation. And, I really thought that I would find myself with more time than I have been having for the past several years. Silly idea! With the start of the new year I have been deluged with new projects, and the total time required seems to have increased over what I previously had. You would think that approaching the age of 55 I would finally have learned how to prioritize and get the most important things done first. Alas, that is a talent that seems more elusive in practice than it is in theory. I suspect that this is also true of many other things in our lives as well. It is amazing how easy some things are in theory. I guess that is what life is - it is messy and chaotic and never as easy in fact as it is in theory. What do I do about it? I ask God for wisdom and trust that He knows what really needs to be done. I don't mean that I sit and pray for hours (or even minutes, or even at all) before each task. But I do pray for God's help and guidance everyday and I do trust Him to give me what I need. I would like to think that everything is being done exactly as He intends - but I would have to be perfect for that to happen. So, I just keep muddling along and trusting that God will take what I offer and use it for His glory and kingdom. And if that's not very satisfying sometimes - well, welcome to real life!

Pastor Ken

No comments: