Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Basis of Trust

The death toll in Haiti just keeps rising. It now stands at over 200,000. And it will undoubtedly go much higher. Why? Why did God allow all this. A few days ago I wrote that most of the tragedy is human-made. And I stand by that. But that doesn't mean that I don't understand those who, if they don't blame God, at least question just what He is doing. So how do I handle it? It sounds simple, but I trust. But it isn't a blind trust. It is a trust based on the firm foundation of what God has done. I know that I have said this before, but it all begins with the resurrection of Jesus Christ. That it occurred I am sure. I have talked before of what that means about everything else that Jesus said. But, from the other perspective, it also means that God's love for me, and indeed for all humanity, is unbounded. And so I trust. I trust that when I don't understand, that the God who created all this and died for me will do, and indeed has done, what is right. And one more thing - He has told me that I am my brother's keeper, and so I will do all I can to help. I will help Haiti and as many others as I can. I need to be reminded of all this from time to time.

Pastor Ken

No comments: