Monday, January 18, 2010

I Have a Dream

When I was in High School Speech and Debate, my category in Speech was Oratorical Interpretation. Basically that meant that we chose a speech from history and then delivered it in a way that would elicit a response in our own time. Now, I chose an unknown speech from an unknown senator in the 1890s, and did pretty well with it. But by far the most popular speech to deliver - usually two or more in a round of eight to ten speakers - was Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr's "I Have a Dream." Now, there were some speeches that I got tired of hearing after just the first delivery. But not "I Have a Dream." It was by far the best expression of the American Dream I have ever heard. I know that Dr. King was a flawed man. And I know that many used those flaws in an attempt to marginalize him. But on this day I want to celebrate one of the greatest Americans of the 20th century. Dr. King was taken from us much too early. But I shudder to think what would have happened to our country without his influence. And yes, I do expect to meet him in the Kingdom of God.

Pastor Ken

No comments: