Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas and Family

It is a tradition in the West to associate Christmas with family. For those of us who sense that most of society has forgotten that Christmas is all about Christ, we sometimes neglect to mention family, or much of anything else because we want to stress the importance of Christ. But, as I sit at my sisters house in Oceanside, having celebrated Christmas with our children and grandson, and then gone to Lake Arrowhead to celebrate Christmas with my wife's side of the family and now look forward to my side here in Oceanside, I must confess that the time spent with my family is the best. For many, this is the only time all year that I will see them. For others, it will be a great dynamic as we all get together. For example, both sides of our family are very political, and political discussions are always the order of the day. With my wife's side of our family, I am the liberal. With my side I am the conservative. And the discussions are always lively. But they are fun! As is the eating, talking, and everything else. So, yes, Christmas is all about Christ. But, since the family was God's idea, it is appropriate that it also be about family. After all, family is the second greatest gift God has given us after His Son. So enjoy Christmas - and family!

Pastor Ken

No comments: