Friday, May 7, 2010

Reminding myself

As I write this I have just finished perusing the Alumni magazine for my undergraduate college, Oral Roberts University. Like all Alumni magazines, it includes stories of the many exploits of various graduates. ORU has had more than its share of graduates who have made a significant difference in various fields and places in the world. And when I say field, I not only mean field of endeavor, but also field in the world, as there are ORU graduates in almost every country of the world. After reading about so many successes, it is easy to feel like one has been, well, let's just say less than a success. It is a feeling that almost everyone is familiar with, particularly at "mid-life." So we need to remind ourselves that God's standard for success is not the same as the world's. God's is measured in what the Bible calls "faithfulness." Have we done what God called us to do? Now that may sound like an easier standard, but it is not. There are many of us who realize what no one else does about our callings and our failings. So what I am trying to say today is not for us all feel better even though we have not been as successful as others in the eyes of the world. Rather I call each of us to seek God anew for His calling and His favor.

Pastor Ken

No comments: