Wednesday, May 12, 2010

6 Catholics and 3 Jews

That is the headline I just saw. It is the essence of an article I read in the LA Times this morning. It reflects continuing articles on Fox News and CNN. Everyone is so up in arms because there will be no Protestants on the Supreme Court. Can I just say - I don't care! I know we live in an age when everyone thinks they are or ought to be part of a protected class. But it seems to me that we have taken this way too far. It seems to me that the only qualifications that need to be considered are those relating to judicial abilities and philosophy. But it highlights another thing happening in our society now, and in the Christian church and culture in particular. I am referring to the tendency to perceive slights as evidence of persecution. Now, I honestly do not think that there is any slight or persecution intended in the fact that there might not be any Protestants on the Supreme Court for awhile. But let us say for the moment that there was What should we do about it? Frankly, this is where I need to understand my Bible. Because Jesus told us to fully expect that we would be persecuted for His name's sake. And when we are, we are to "turn the other cheek." If we ever get to the point where Christians are excluded from parts of our political and cultural world just because we are Christians, then we need to not be surprised, and redouble our efforts to live a life that testifies that God still loves not only us, but those persecuting us as well. In the meantime, let's not look for trouble where there isn't any.

Pastor Ken

No comments: