Thursday, May 29, 2008

Easy or Good?

As I sit at my desk writing this blog, the jackhammers are going outside for the final phase for installing the Solar Electric system here at West Valley Christian Center, the Three Crosses Church. It represents the culmination of a long term project to “go green,” minimizing our carbon footprint. We are excited about the fact that we will be “coming on line” in a matter of days.

One thing that has impressed me greatly in the process has been the way that the foreman has handled the project. We have had a number of building projects around the church here, and I oversaw the construction of a new church at my last pastorate, and I have never seen anyone so committed to getting the details right. He has made sure that everything is done properly.

This got me thinking that one of the gifts that we give back to God is our worship in our work. Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, “If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the host of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well.” How refreshing it is to see someone who actually lives that way. It has been a powerful reminder to me to do the same. Have a great day!

Pastor Ken

No comments: