Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Different Prespective

I noticed that Avatar has been nominated for 9 Academy Awards. And I know that many have expressed their concern about the movie for its "anti-human bias." I find that interesting for a couple of reasons. First, I find it interesting because, so far, we don't know of any other fully sentient species in the Universe except Homo Sapiens. We're it! So what does it mean to be "anti-human?" But even more importantly, it misses the point of Science Fiction anyway - to help us see ourselves from a different perspective. It is so hard to get outside of ourselves and see ourselves as others see us. By making the "aliens" the good guys, it allows us to see ourselves in a different light. And I have never thought that was a bad thing.

Pastor Ken

No comments: