Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Help Me Here

I have been thinking a lot about the "culture wars." The most obvious incidence right now is the debate over Proposition 8 in California. What are we who believe that God has lovingly revealed the best possible way to live life to do? This is an especially important question for parents and grandparents. For those who are not parents, I can say from personal experience as well as from observation that becoming a parent radically - and I mean radically - changes you and what you consider important in life. Becoming a grandparent just ups the ante all the more. And when you do become a parent, and then a grandparent, the culture wars take on a very personal note. My belief that God has given humanity free will, and the least I can do is allow my fellow human to exercise that as they see fit, so long as they are not hurting another, comes up against the very real desire to see my children and grandchildren raised in a society that encourages all the right things and discourages all the wrong things. I would not want my daughter to get an abortion unless her life was in danger. I would feel much more confident that it would not happen, and that she would share my value, if society also said that she ought not to. You get my point. And yet, as a believer, I know that just sounding judgmental is a very poor way to get a hearing for the good news of God's love in Jesus Christ. None of us likes being told we are a sinner. And, truth be told, that is not so much my job anyway. I have found that the Holy Spirit does a more than adequate job of convicting of sin without my help. But what about our prophetic responsibility? I am currently reading a biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who is one who can truly be called a modern day prophet. But make no mistake, almost everyone in Nazi Germany thought he was completely wrong, as well as some even in the "Confessing Church." And yet, he was right, even though he did not live to see himself vindicated. Do I stand for a prophetic proclamation in the culture wars? Or do I advise withdrawing and just living a loving, godly life? It is easy to say, "make sure you are called to be a prophet," but, I frankly don't trust someone who is convinced they have that call. it is usually only obvious in retrospect. All of this is a bit rambling, but what I am saying is, let's talk about it! What do you think? Withdrawal into the Christian ghetto? In-your-face opposition that maddens everyone and runs the risk of persecution? What is God calling us to do? Let me know what you think.

Pastor Ken

No comments: