Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Feelings

In one of my most recent blogs I talked about the intimations of mortality that I had as a result of my recent surgery to remove my gall bladder. You go to sleep no knowing if you will wake up. Now, just two weeks later, after having my staples removed (yes they are just what they sound like!), I am feeling so well that I have the exact opposite feeling - I feel, as the Word says, "as though I could run through a troop!" I am healthy, strong, and even able to golf again, and all after two weeks. I have recovered in a bout half to a third of the time they doctors expected. But this feeling of almost invincibility is every bit as wrong as the feelings of mortality earlier. In fact, it is even less realistic. I will leave this world some day. My strength will eventually wane and I may find myself completely at the mercy of others. I know - "that's life." That is just the point. This life contains many illusions - most of them in our own minds. The only antidote is to find out from someone without this tendency to kid ourselves what reality is like. Fortunately, there is someone just like that. Jesus. He had no illusions. I must come closer to Him. I must let Him inform my mind, and hopefully, eventually, my feelings. Because that is the only reality.

Pastor Ken

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Ken - You're missing nothing. Dr Hawking is missing the knowledge that there must be something causing the conditions to which he ascribes the origin of the Universe. I noted with great satisfaction that the heads of the Anglican and Roman Catholic Churches, the Chief Rabbi, and the Head English Inman all spoke with a single voice in pointing this out. Science cannot ascertain the "first cause" - only faith can do that.

Ken Walters, Sr