Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tax Day

I am not sure there is anyone who likes, let alone loves Tax Day. In the musical 1776 John Adams is upbraided by a fellow delegate to the Continental Congress for thinking his taxes are too high. The other delegate says, "well, so are mine!" I heard on the radio today that around half of all Americans think that taxes are basically fair - and that 47% of Americans pay no income tax! I guess it is easy to think it is fair if you don't pay! And yet, taxes are a necessary part of life. We expect so much of our government, and it all must be paid for somehow. And in a Republic where we all have representation, we have no one to blame but ourselves if our taxes are too high. But is there a Christian response to tax day? Actually, yes there is. We all remember the story of Jesus telling Peter to go get a fish from the lake and finding a roman coin in the mouth. Jesus told Peter - and by extension all of us - that we have a responsibility to render to our government what our government requires. And this in an Empire where the common person had not say so in who was to govern or what the laws would be! Now, I confess, I wouldn't mind finding enough to pay my taxes for the year in the mouth of a fish - or dog or any other animal. But until then, I will keep on paying my taxes. Of course, I will keep on complaining, too. That is only American!

Pastor Ken

1 comment:

Ken Walters, Sr. said...

Besides being an Episcopal lay minister, I'm a retired USAF Chief Master Sergeant. I seem to recall Jesus saying "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's." As Pastor Ken observed, we live in a republic. If we don't like the present situation, we are free to raise the problem with our legislators. Their mills may grind slowly, but they do grind. Something that seems to be lost in all the fuss is that, if we want the services, we must pay for them. Discussion closed....